Monday, April 12, 2010

Starbucks you have broken my heart...

This is a typical starbucks cup. I prefer the venti size. It gives you a little extra bang when you drink it or I suppose there is more caffeine in it which helps. I usually order a white chocolate mocha or a caramel machiatto but lately I have been drinking green teas...
There are three types of tea-green tea, oolong tea and black tea. I use to drink earl grey tea but found that had way too much caffeine in it and it would keep me awake for hours on end. So I switched to green tea. I have to admit I have never tried oolong tea and have really no idea what it is. But Green tea has a nice taste to it if correctly made. Well I got to starbucks, ordered my venti green tea and drove off with cup in hand. I didn't have time to stop and taste it, it was burning hot and so I waited a bit for it too cool down. Well I tasted it and it didn't taste quite right. It was not the sweet green tea taste that I was use too, instead it seemed a bit fruity and was a bit on the bitter side and it honestly did smell horrid. So I opened up the cup to see if it was a joke and I discovered this:
Some orangey-yellowish substance. The tea bags I took out were tea bags on the ends of strings. No label stating it was a green tea bag, just a tea bag on a string...weird...usually they leave the label on the tea bag giving something to grasp onto. Plus in comparision to the picture below...the above is not green tea. It did not taste like green tea or look like green tea should.
This picture is taken from the starbucks website...notice the greenish tinge? That would be green tea for you. In all my green tea drinking experiences, the green tea had this green hue to it. Mine pictured above did not. Therefore I am convinced it was not green tea. I was going to go back and argue for my three dollars back but I will bring it up next time and throughly inspect my green tea before driving off.
You may ask why I choose to drink green tea. Well it can reduce your systolic and diastolic blood pressure, reduce your fasting cholesterol, body fat and body weight. It is a more potent antioxidant that black tea or oolong tea is. The green tea is steamed, baked, or pan heated to prevent oxidation and the leaves remain green giving it an antioxidant effect. Green tea unless specified does contain caffeine but the number of times you use the leaves can reduce the caffeine found in it. Too much caffeine can cause frequent urination, nausea and insomnia.
So there, you have now learned why starbucks broke my heart today...but I will return because I love their coffee and green teas on a good day. Plus you have learned a little bit about green teas and their effects on the body.

No comments: