Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The blog vs. facebook addicts.

So it seems lately that I am the only one who updates their blog....almost everyday....but I check blogs quite often and I think I have figured out why people don't blog as much as they use to. It is because of facebook. Everyone is on facebook and blogs are becoming the way of the past, some might say old technology to keep up to date with people's lives. I enjoy reading other people's blogs but my biggest pet peeve (as far as internet related) is that people tell you they got a blog and then don't update it often.

So to let people know....who aren't on facebook....what you can do on facebook, let me tell you. You can find almost anyone you knew from way back in the first grade at school. Or you can find people who you went to school with or graduated with. You can find people you work with, people you went to post-secondary with or you can find your friends. I even found extended family members on facebook and as well some of my friends parent's on facebook.

You can keep in touch via the wall, the super wall, the poke, or the messaging (which is just like email). You can draw graffiti if they have a graffiti wall, you can send post-it-notes to your friends. You can play with magnetic poetry if they have that on their wall. You can send people fish, flowers, or plants. You can send free gifts, you can send gifts you have to buy for a $1.00 a piece. You can participate in many activities such as food fights, pets, pirates, zombies, poker, etc. You can join clubs that range from everything like what it was like to be a child in the 80's or to help your friends achieve some kind of internet stardom or celebrity or you can join just nonsense clubs.

You can do quiz's that will leave links on your note page, you can write notes about random stuff...kind of like a blog.. You can hug people, or if you choose to you can hit people....you can Instant message on facebook now. You can create photo albums to share with your friends and you can have as many pictures as you would like. You can even post videos. You can rate your friends and have top friends lists. You can write in their honesty boxes about how you really feel about them. You can tell people how you are feeling that day. You can even have a human pet! You can ask people questions and they can answer, you can tell people what kind of mood you are in. You can support causes, you can countdown to important events. You can tell your friends what you like, you can tell them all the places you've visited.

I mean look at all the stuff you can do on facebook.....it's outrageous. It's like it's own little world over there. So now I understand fully why people waste so much time on facebook instead of blogging. But to my loyal blog readers, I will continue to blog because I like to write and I haven't figured out how to write on facebook using the "note" application yet. So until that day comes, my blog will flourish and grow.
p.s.->I am in no way promoting facebook by the writing of this blog.... :)

5 comments:

Rev. Michael Macintyre said...

I'll have you know that I am not on facebook, and never will be :)

Lisa said...

Found your blog looking for debates between blogspot and facebook. I just want to say that I think blogspot is better. I'm in line with Mike on the facebook issue. Too controlling (aka, you have to sign up in order to read anybodys stuff...) and invasive (birthdate- "really people" isn't that just a little personal?...)and besides, with all you think that you CAN do, on facebook, you tell me that a person cannot even blog!

How's that?

Thanks for your wisdom and insight on the matter! And giving me a comment space in which to VENT!

too-da-loo...

Cameron said...

FYI - I don't know about Blogger, but most blog sites now automatically post your blog posts to Facebook as notes if you want them to.

Also found you post by searching facebook vs. blogs. I am a Facebook addict trying to branch out (going backwards I guess) and not seeing the point since Facebook is such a full dynamic world.

Anonymous said...

I do Facbook, Twitter and blog and have more followers on Facebook and Twitter than the actual blog and alot of them don't even go to the blog. Not sure if this a good thing or the age of the internet and too many choices.

Grampa said...

I've been doing both, but sometimes FB is what's called for. Often a short entry is best, but I feel if I'm blogging, I need to flesh it out. A couple of sentences may be all that's needed, and for this FB is better.