Tuesday, January 15, 2008

2008..the last 15 days

Welcome to 2008...though I probably should have said that sooner...maybe...I mean after all January is half over. What is new you might be asking, well I have started back at school. Already I can tell that my classes this term will be difficult, mostly because there's the history of nursing, the ethics of nursing etc....mostly boring stuff. But we do have a maternity/pediatrics class that manage to keep my attention...most of the time.

I have been placed for clinical, though I am not thrilled about being back in long-term again, I worked so hard to get out of long-term care, it's just a really depressing atmosphere. They are short for placements because there are over 400 nursing students here. We compete for spots with the RN program and they get priority for clinical placements for whatever reason. So some of us have been shuffled back to long term care where our skills will go un-used. We also get to do a week in the SPHERE lab...with the creepy dummy I had talked about in an earlier post. It's a mortifying experience and you get nervous because people watch you...lot's of people.

But anyways since the long-term care is in a hospital like setting, hopefully, maybe something exciting will happen. I want to use my skills I am learning and unfortunately in long-term care no one has IV medications or needs sutures or staples removed or has big gashing wounds in their bodies which require dressing changes. Hence my love for the hospital and all the goryness that comes along with it. I get to do a rotation on pediatrics as well, which I wish I would have gotten my rotation on maternity because there is only one PN job on pediatrics and a grad nurse from last year just took the position, so I don't foresee it opening anytime soon.

I am really excited because they have opened a "float" position between labor and delivery and maternity. It is filled right now, but the prospects of them opening more positions for the PN's is in the future. I had decided one place I would like to work is maternity, which is why I am disappointed not getting placed there.

If I do decide to go onto get my Bachelors of Nursing I think I would want to work somewhere fast paced and intense, being a PN doesn't give you much in the fast pace category. I don't know, maybe I might work in a doctors office for now, It's something normal. I like the idea of regular hours.

No comments: